How often do you find yourself with a head of red cabbage where you’ve only used a portion of it? A good sized head of cabbage yields a lot of shredded goodness. Whether you have one from your CSA, or picked one up just to use a small amount for some tasty fish tacos, here’s an idea for how to use what remains.
I was looking for something that would pair well with an Indian spiced dish, lentil veggie burgers, that I was making. The carrot and cabbage would give some crunch to the dish and the yogurt ideally would help balance the spices. It’d also add in some nice color as well.
The dressing was pretty easy. Take a nice juicy lemon (or lime) and squeeze out about 1 tablespoon’s worth. I always wash anything I’m going to cut open under warm, soapy water first. You don’t know what’s on the surface of the fruit….and you don’t want your knife to spread it around when it slices through.
Simply mix the juice, yogurt and some cilantro together. Depending on your yogurt, if you find that it’s a bit too tart, add in a drizzle of honey to sweeten it up.
The rest is equally straightforward. Start with the cabbage in a large mixing bowl. Toss in the carrots, raisins and cilantro until you like the ratios. Finish by tossing in the dressing.
- 6 Ounces Greek Yogurt
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice (freshly squeezed)
- 2 Cups Red Cabbage (shredded)
- 2 Carrots (peeled & shredded)
- 1 Handful Raisins
- 2 Tablespoons Cilantro
- Mix the yogurt, lemon juice and 1 tablespoon of cilantro together in a small bowl. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Optional: Add a small amount of honey if you find the dressing too tart
- Combine the cabbage, carrots, raisins and remaining cilantro in a large bowl
- Mix in the dressing to taste